Thursday, 18 May 2017

What's your attitude?


I don't know if it's my imagination, but a lot of people are going around these days with a face as if they have a permanent bad smell under their nose.

I know it is not possible to be always happy and cheerful and go along singing and shouting "Praise the Lord!". But some people I know seem to be permanently gloomy as if they're carrying the world's garbage on their shoulders. I accept that at times we all have our bad hair day, the days when things aren't as they should be; that's natural and to be expected. But let's not make a habit of always looking like a mouldy ten year old sandwich in a caffeteria.

Imagine a party, or a barbeque, where everyone is happy and chatty, and the food and drink are perfect, and the weather is wonderful, and the music is playing, and ... one sour faced person looking as if they have just tasted a vinaigrette gateau - if there is such a thing. And if there isn't, then there should be to help me make my point.

That person's attitude will spoil the whole event for everyone. People will remember their face, their behaviour, their demeanour for years to come. If any one is taking photos then that will be permanently recorded for posteriority too. (I know there is no such word - I've just made it up to add effect to my writing).

So let's look in the mirror more often and watch our attitude. Is the person looking back at us the sort of person we'd like to meet? Does he or she make us happy?

Even if it is difficult, which I accept it sometimes is for some, let's make an effort to break a smile. I said break a smile; not break wind. That's an all together different story for another day.

Let's smile more often. If not for us, then for others. A smile every now and then makes someone else happy. Let's tickle ourselves to make ourselves smile. I always carry a feather in my trouser pocket for such a purpose. (Please don't make up your own jokes at my expense.)

Let's watch our attitude.

The other day the postman dropped his hat accidentally and my dog rushed upon it and tore it to pieces. The postman complained to me saying "Your dog chewed my hat!"

I remembered my attitude and smiled broadly.

He said, "I don't like your attitude!"

I replied "It's not my 'at he chewed. It's your 'at he chewed!"

Keep smiling.

8 comments:

  1. Hi Victor! That visual of having a 'permanent bad smell' is a very graphic one, I could see it in my mind! You're so right, my attitude is absolutely my choice. Why ruin my day, and the day of those around me with a bad one? With God there is always hope, right?
    Hoping you have many reasons to smile today my friend,
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ceil,

      You're so right. With God there's always hope. I find things look darker at night; and by the next morning one sees things in a new brighter light.

      God bless.

      Delete
  2. Oh, leave it to you to make us all smile, in spite of ourselves! Thank you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Smiling can be contagious, Cheryl.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Absolutely. I couldn't agree more. Oh my, we have so very much to be thankful for.

    Let's choose a smile next time ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you visiting me again, Linda.

      Some Christians I know never smile, sadly.

      God bless.

      Delete
  4. Good post! Problem is that I hate to look at myself in the mirror. Too horrid, I'm afraid. I don't think a smile would make much of a difference. (JK)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you don't mean it, Manny.

      Keep smiling. God bless you and yours.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...