Thursday, 2 February 2017

What a Camelot of problems

Once upon a time there was an old nomadic trader who got tired of his way of life and wanted to retire. He called his three children and told them to take over the business. To help them start he decided to divide his herd of 11 camels amongst them.

He said: "The youngest amongst you should have 1/6 of my camels. The eldest should have 1/2 of my camels. And the one born second should have 1/4 of my camels!"

The children took away the 11 camels and discussed amongst themselves how they are to divide them. However they started, they had to kill at least one camel and divide it amongst them; which was a waste.

CAN YOU HELP THEM DIVIDE THE 11 CAMELS WITHOUT KILLING ANY OF THEM?

Work it out for a while before looking down at the answer ... It can be done with a little lateral thinking. I know the temptation is there to look for the answer, but don't do so right away.

Meanwhile ... here is a short interlude.

By the way, did you know that a camel with one hump is called a dromedary?
And a camel with two humps is called a bactrian camel.
And a camel with three humps is called Humphrey?

OK ... now let's go back to the three brothers and their problem.

The three brothers went to see the elder of the village and told him their problem. He asked them to bring his own camel which was tied to a palm tree. He now had 12 camels in the herd.

He gave the youngest brother 1/6 of the herd - which is 2 camels.

He gave the eldest brother 1/2 of the herd - which is 6 camels.

He then gave the other brother 1/4 of the herd - which is 3 camels.

He then asked them to tie his camel back to the palm tree.

6 comments:

  1. Oh, my! How very clever! Thanks for sharing this. God bless you, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cheryl. It is a clever puzzle.

      God bless you and yours.

      Delete
  2. I have a camelback--it hold 60 ounces of fluid!
    Started No Worries Mate last night. Poor Aunt Gertrude--you might be guilty of picking on her. On second thought perhaps she deserves the picking!
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lulu. You are one of my most loyal supporters and encourager of my works. I hope you like "No Worries Mate!!!". It is a series of posts published here some time ago about Aunt Gertrude.

      I used to have a camelback type bottle which I used to fill with beer and pretend it was water when I took the dog for walks. But once someone realised what I was doing and changed the beer with cold tea. Eugh!!! It was the shortest walk the dog ever had - towards the pub!

      God bless you. And thank you, Lulu.

      Delete
  3. Very clever! (And the Humphrey joke was quite funny!!)

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a clever mathematical trick, isn't it?

      God bless you, Michael.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...