Sunday, 2 November 2014

Michael peeved the boat ashore ...

This post is inspired by Michael, a fellow Blogger whose posts are always far better than mine will ever be.

A couple of weeks ago Michael wrote a brilliant post about his pet peeves when he is in church. You can read it HERE.

Well, this Sunday a similar thing happened at our church. We had a Baptism during Mass and as ever the church (and car park) were packed to the limit and more. There were many people whom I had never seen in church before; no doubt relatives and friends of the proud parents and even a few more besides.

Good, I bet God was happy to see the church so crowded. The priest too, judging from the collection plate.

We could not get to our usual seat so we decided to stand at the back. No problem there.

Throughout Mass, standing there at the back was a young lady wearing a very tight, (3 sizes too small I'd guess), black backless dress suitable for a night out at the theatre or a dance or party, rather than church. The backless dress hugged her every contour and it was so short that it barely covered the essential. It was  made of that type of material which somehow lifts the tight dress up whenever you walk.

Now I'm no fashion expert, but why do some women wear dresses made of that material? It must be uncomfortable as they walk for the dress to go for ever upwards.

Anyway, this young lady was carrying a small child in her arms and kept pacing up and down in front of us. Every so often she would stop and with one hand feebly and unsuccessfully try to pull the dress down again.

The child, like they all do when our sermons are extra long, as today's certainly was; I forgot a word that the priest said, you know ...

To continue, as I was saying before I interrupted my thoughts, the child began to cry. To soothe him the young woman stopped walking and rocked the baby gently up and down on her chest. As she did so her tight dress responded by raising the hemline up rhythmically at her every movement without her realising it.

I did not know where to look ... Actually I did, but I feared a sharp elbow in my ribs from you know who.

I pretended not to notice, but then, if I hadn't noticed, I would not be writing here about it; would I?

12 comments:

  1. Oh it's true, Victor - I see this all the time at Mass. Even skimpy shorts and tank tops during the summer. Our Lady of Fatima spoke about this many years ago - fashions that would be displeasing to the Lord. Her words were, "“Certain fashions will be introduced that will offend Our Lord very much."
    I try not to judge but it's quite over the top at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I try not to judge but it's quite over the top at times."

      It was well over the top, Mary. Left little to the imagination as she bounced the child up and down and the dress raised a little more with every motion.

      Delete
  2. WELL Victor, this is an entire "Can of Worms" better left unopen. I might reveal my "Uncoolness" if I told you what I really think---BUT this one comment---God is EVERYWHERE---so dress appropriate for the final judgement at ALL time!

    Blessings, Friend--and they make great drops for eye strain these days in case you are suffering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still looking for the eye drops, Lulu.

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. I know a priest that would put garment "covers" in the back of the church; whenever anyone was dressed immodestly they would be asked to cover up...the priest received A LOT of flak from several parishioners and/or visitors. He got the idea when traveling to Rome, seeing how certain churches & basilicas asked for proper and modest attire to be worn before entering these sacred places.

    God's grace to your days...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard that in Rome some churches don't allow people in if they're not properly dressed. But never heard of Garmetn covers. This priest you mention is very brave.

      The short dress the young lady wore revealed too much even before the hemline started rising.

      God bless.

      Delete
    2. Believe "IT" or not i try to keep my eyes closed until i go up to receive The Body and Blood of Christ and as a matter of fact, my wife and I were asked by an hush her if we wouldn't mind taking the gifts to the front and my wife said, we would love to and as he left, he tapped me on the shoulder and simply said, just keep praying for all of us Victor... as for the picture of the girl you've posted, "I" just heard sinner vic telling the Grim Riper that if her dress was any shorter, he would have two more cheeks to powder

      I hear YA! Not funny sinner vic...lol

      http://ashesfromburntroses.blogspot.ca/2014/11/matthew-monday-halloween-2014.html

      God Bless

      Delete
  4. Hi Victor! I can completely see what you saw, what a great description! In the back of my head I kept thinking "I wonder if she gained weight with the pregnancy, and could barely find anything to fit in the closet?"
    Maybe this dress was chosen because it did stretch over the extra pounds? Just a thought. I always feel bad for people who have ill-fitting clothes because I struggle with my weight too.

    I would have given you a bit of an elbow too my friend!
    Ceil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not fair Ceil. An elbow on each side can be quite painful you know. I tried not to look, honest. I struggled not to. (A little).

      God bless.

      Delete
  5. Victor, thank you for the kind words. Ironically, I'm the one trying to be half the writer you are!

    Thanks for adding to the Pet Peeve conversation. I'm glad you were able to get through Mass without sustaining any injuries ;)

    God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your writing Michael is so direct and to the point. You always make us think. Thanx for that.

      God bless you.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...