Monday, 1 October 2012

Technology and I (Me)

We were at our friend's house the other day enjoying a lovely barbecue in the garden with his family. It was warm and sunny and all was well and wonderful.

Until ...

I asked my friend if he had a newspaper.

"Join the 21st Century" he laughed, "we don't have newspapers in this house. Here have my Kindle!"

Well ... that wasp certainly did not know what hit it as it went to meet its maker.

For some reason my friend became furiously angry as bits of plastic broke off from his Kindle and started flying all over the place. He started calling me all sort of unrepeatable names ... some of which I'd never heard before nor knew their meaning!

Everyone stopped what they were doing in shock and amazement.

He calmed down a little when his 4 year old child asked innocently what some of the words meant.

But he went mad again when I tried to explain the meanings of the words I'd heard before.

When he'd calmed down once again he explained what a Kindle was and its purpose.

"Oh ..." I said, "I thought it was a mouse mat for the computer, or a fly swatter. It looks the right size to be both!"

He thought I was being funny ... which I wasn't, I assure you.

I calmed him down before he started boiling over again by offering to buy him another Kindle ... whatever that is.

He then went on about the number of books on his Kindle and other documents and pictures which were now lost forever and had to be "downloaded" again.

Is there a techy character out there who can tell me whether you can transfer books from a broken Kindle to a new one?

Failing that, can you tell me where one can obtain newspapers or magazines which can be rolled up and used to swat flies and other insects?

20 comments:

  1. Yes, you can arrange to transfer ...but make sure to use the same account name . Better to discuss with Kindle/Amazon...I found them very helpful when my first Kindle broke. I was able to trqansfer the breviary, Bible etc and novels from first kindle to second kindle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you EF Pastor Emeritus.

      I really cannot work out all this new technology: Kindle, iPad, iPod, MP3 and all that. I still have trouble when my computer plays up.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  2. You helped me start my day with a smile! And a laugh. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen,

      That square bit of plastic looked like a mouse mat, or a new style fly swatter. How was I to know it was some fancy computer thing?

      God bless.

      Delete
  3. Victor,I couldn't tell if you were being serious or not...so I laughed my head off and then wondered if you really were asking for help.

    Sorry..but you're not alone in your lack of being techno-savvy! My girls have a laugh at me all the time. Hope you get it resolved and have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Lisa, it's good to laugh.

    Why doesn't someone invent an electronic fly-swatter? You just point at a fly or a wasp and the machine does the rest. Now that would be technology well worth using.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am still laughing. Mobile devices are excellent but they are not as convenient as newspapers for swatting wasps and flies. It certainly pays to have one around. Also, if they get wet, it takes a lot more than letting them dry to read them again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marie,

      It's great to see you visiting and commenting here. We hope you return soon.

      I'm so glad I made you laugh.

      God bless you.

      Delete
  6. Hmm! Do you think that electronic fly swatter would work on stink bugs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know Sister Ann Marie. But at least it would be elctronic which is what the new generation of today seem to like so much. Everything has become electronic these days.

      Time was I looked at a map book when I went driving to new locations. Now you have an electronic woman in the car telling you you took the wrong turning and she is "re-calculating" your route.

      God bless.

      Delete
  7. Oh dear..that technology dilemma again.. I'm still the only one in my family without an iphone. My simple one (that I can text and take pictures with) is good enough and I still don't know how to load them to my computer. I fear I'm falling farther behind the culture day by day.
    This is just too funny! As always I leave smiling.+

    ReplyDelete
  8. Same here Caroline. Technology is moving too fast I think. I'm still waiting for them to invent a cell phone that makes a good coffee, or hot chocolate, or a pizza perhaps.

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not tech savvy and do not own a kindle. I still prefer the pages in my hands. I have to say this made me laugh though. I kept waiting to see if you were joking. Thanks for making me smile. I wish I could help you out about the transfer of stuff. It seems like in this day and age that should be very possible. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello BelovedBomber,

    It's great to see you visiting me and commenting. We hope you return here soon.

    Glad I made you smile.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Kindle's are awesome! I like having an entire bookstore at my fingertips. And after reading your post I know what it's good for when it dies ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're a great invention Mary. Although I wonder what one can do when the Kindle breaks - is it possible to transfer all books to a new kindle?

    God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Funny. You think up the greatest situations from the common and ordinary in life. What a gift!

    Sorry I can't help you on the data transfer. Check with your local geek. He or she will surely know.

    I don't own a Kindle, either. I downloaded Kindle for the PC so I could get some Kindle ebooks. But a Kindle itself would be one more thing I'd have to carry around and maybe lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanx for the compliment Barb. It's good to laugh.

      Technology is moving too fast, I think. What will they invent next?

      God bless.

      Delete
  14. Ha! I don't know if I'll ever be won over to electronic books. I love the smell of the pages and the feel of the binding and the sensation of flipping pages. May books never go the way of the dinosaurs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Sarah. When I was young I always loved the Encyclopedia Brittanica. I could stand on two volumes to reach the sweets on the high shelf. Can't do that with a Kindle.

      God bless.

      Delete

I PRAY FOR ALL WHO COMMENT HERE.

God bless you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...